Monday, December 2, 2013

The center?

Long time no see, blogger.com. I don't really have much a reason for the absence except busy-ness. Oh well.


Today I was watching this music video of a song by a band called Mogwai. The song is decent but as I watched the video, one of the early shots really intrigued me. The shot begins in the sky and then descends to focus on a person walking. The shot is very clearly done in order to make the person the focal point of it. This got me thinking. Why are we all so man-centered? Why is all of our culture, all of our politic, almost all of our everything focused on man? Even our religion, something that should be so distinctly NOT focused on man, is often more about us and OUR relation to God than it is to God Himself.

I think some of this comes naturally. God has created us in His image and therefore we are drawn to man for the trace of the divine. Like all natural things, however, this has been corrupted and turned into something more than just an appreciation. I do not think that our culture differs very much than Graeco-Roman cultures that worshipped man as the center of all things. Sure, we don't bow down to "gods" in the shape of bronzed men, but we have games to celebrate the physique of men, we spend billions of dollars to accessorize and decorate ourselves, even a "holiday" meant to give thanks is turned into a day to gorge on food and then shop for discounts on things we don't need.

This can't be how it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment