The word “love” is used so much throughout our culture. It’s frequently mentioned in music, movies, books, and on television, yet it’s almost always treated very flippantly. In music, it’s usually very near-sighted and shallow; in movies it’s usually based on filling a person’s needs and wants; in books it’s usually an unrealistic and fantastical cure-all; and in television it’s either something to connect plot points or an excuse for laughs and/or sex. I mean, it's no wonder that there are so many unmarried couples living together and that the divorce rate is so high. Sure, the main reason is because we're all sinners with selfish hearts and motives, but all the lies and false realities around us in the entertainment industry have done their share of adding to the messes we call "relationships."
My favorite non-Bible description of (romantic) love comes from my favorite band, Thrice. On the latest album they have a song called "The Weight." The name comes from one of the lyrics, "a ring don't mean nothin' if you can't haul the weight." The main line of the song that really sticks out to me is found in the chorus,
"And come what may, I won’t abandon you or leave you behind,
Because love is a loyalty sworn, not a burning for a moment.
Come what may, I will be standing right here by your side,
I won’t run away, though the storm’s getting worse and there’s no end in sight."
Because love is a loyalty sworn, not a burning for a moment.
Come what may, I will be standing right here by your side,
I won’t run away, though the storm’s getting worse and there’s no end in sight."
I think that in our culture, the definition of (romantic) love has become "a burning for a moment." So often people take the passion of the moment and think they've found "the one" (not Keanu Reeves) without any thought of the weighty stuff that goes hand-in-hand with "love." Not to say that passion isn't important, 'cause it is and I hope to have passion in any future relationship I'm in, but it's hardly a base. Basing a relationship and an idea of "love" on passion and "all the fluffy things" is like trying to make stilts out of toothpicks; it may seem plausible on some level of thought but sooner or later, you come crashing down.
Enough ranting, I've got class at 9am and I've spent too much time on this already. I'll depart with a thought provoking lyric from Ray LaMontagne, who I'm listening to at the moment:
"I never learned to count my blessings.
I choose instead to dwell in my disasters."
I choose instead to dwell in my disasters."
No comments:
Post a Comment