“I’m falling for a heart of Snow, your winter spell won’t
let me go. I’m frozen. I’m drowning in your arctic sea, can’t break the ice
that covers me. I’m frozen.
...
Couldn’t walk away and let you go, stood there like a fool
when it started to Snow.”
Happy Valentine's Day, presumably future Dan who is likely the only one ever to read this!
12:16 This is going to be a progressive blog post. I got called off work tonight, so today will be a movie day. Among the possibilities are Taxi Driver, Citizen Kane, Dumb & Dumber, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Blue Valentine, and Her. With the exception of Her (only seen once, reserving judgment), all of those are movies I love that deal with ideas of love and/or loneliness. I'll likely put the names in a hat and just draw 3 of them out.
1:52 The films will be Blue Valentine, followed by WVU vs. Iowa State, followed by Eternal Sunshine and finally Her.
9:41 Blue Valentine is always such a weighty viewing. It's so well-done and artistically beautiful, and yet it just tears at whatever sense of optimism I have left. All the feelings of doubt and insecurity and "you'll die alone" sound so much more believable after watching such a realistic portrayal of a broken relationship. How can you trust feelings when they can just change? I know that marriage means more than just feelings and desire, that it requires commitment and "a loyalty sworn," I just don't have much faith anyone I have that towards will have it towards me. Who knows. On to Eternal Sunshine. "Why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit attention?"
9:51 I forgot to post earlier. The Smiths' song "I Know It's Over" is an awesome song. It was on the Amazon Anti-Valentine's playlist and man, it's so good. "Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head."
11:31 Beginning Her. This movie seems like a conglomeration of Blue Valentine, (500) Days of Summer, and Eternal Sunshine, but with Spike Jonze's weird style. It's also more blatantly sexual in a way that doesn't add to the film like Blue Valentine's sexual content does.
12:10 Explicit language warning: from Her: "I wanted somebody to fuck me. I want somebody to want me to fuck them. Maybe that would have filled this ti-... tiny little hole in my heart, but probably not... and sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new... just... lesser versions of what I've already felt."
12:58 Her is a movie that will grow with me I think. One that I will make more and more sense and have more and more meaning as I grow older and develop more relationship knowledge. I've got plenty of the loneliness, but hardly any of the relationship.
1:25 Romantic love is too big and yet too elusive a thing for me, I think.
"If you're so funny, then why are you on your own tonight?
If you're so clever, then why are you on your own tonight?
If you're so very entertaining, then why are you on your own tonight?
'Cause tonight is just like any other night
That's why you're on your own tonight
With your triumphs and your charms
While they're in each other's arms
It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate
It takes strength to be gentle and kind
Over, over, over" - "I Know It's Over"
1:52 The films will be Blue Valentine, followed by WVU vs. Iowa State, followed by Eternal Sunshine and finally Her.
9:41 Blue Valentine is always such a weighty viewing. It's so well-done and artistically beautiful, and yet it just tears at whatever sense of optimism I have left. All the feelings of doubt and insecurity and "you'll die alone" sound so much more believable after watching such a realistic portrayal of a broken relationship. How can you trust feelings when they can just change? I know that marriage means more than just feelings and desire, that it requires commitment and "a loyalty sworn," I just don't have much faith anyone I have that towards will have it towards me. Who knows. On to Eternal Sunshine. "Why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit attention?"
9:51 I forgot to post earlier. The Smiths' song "I Know It's Over" is an awesome song. It was on the Amazon Anti-Valentine's playlist and man, it's so good. "Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head."
11:31 Beginning Her. This movie seems like a conglomeration of Blue Valentine, (500) Days of Summer, and Eternal Sunshine, but with Spike Jonze's weird style. It's also more blatantly sexual in a way that doesn't add to the film like Blue Valentine's sexual content does.
12:10 Explicit language warning: from Her: "I wanted somebody to fuck me. I want somebody to want me to fuck them. Maybe that would have filled this ti-... tiny little hole in my heart, but probably not... and sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new... just... lesser versions of what I've already felt."
12:58 Her is a movie that will grow with me I think. One that I will make more and more sense and have more and more meaning as I grow older and develop more relationship knowledge. I've got plenty of the loneliness, but hardly any of the relationship.
1:25 Romantic love is too big and yet too elusive a thing for me, I think.
"If you're so funny, then why are you on your own tonight?
If you're so clever, then why are you on your own tonight?
If you're so very entertaining, then why are you on your own tonight?
'Cause tonight is just like any other night
That's why you're on your own tonight
With your triumphs and your charms
While they're in each other's arms
It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate
It takes strength to be gentle and kind
Over, over, over" - "I Know It's Over"
No comments:
Post a Comment