So this morning around 8am my parents, my brother, and I left for Pennsylvania for my grandmother's funeral. Now, we've been at my aunt's for about 6 hours or so, including the 1-2 hours we were out to eat, and grief hasn't really been a big thing. My aunt Sue who lives somewhere else was here earlier and she was doing a lot of crying while writing something to say about my grandma but other than that, it's not been very emotional yet. However, two things struck me tonight regarding my grandma. First, and this is what caught me off guard, I was looking over a little notebook my grandma had where she had written favorite Bible verses and quotes and there was one verse in particular, Isaiah 30:15, which I saw first thing. This is a verse I've known for over a year after I read it and immediately put it into my phone's note section. It's just really crazy to think about how my grandma and I, two people who had never had much of a connection due to her failing health, both found strength and comfort in the same verse.
The second thing was just me looking at pictures of her and my grandfather, who died when my dad was a kid. I'd seen very few pictures of him and could hardly remember any I'd seen of them together. It was just a really striking thing to look at.
Tomorrow is the funeral and the burial and all that, and I'll see almost all of my extended family, so I guess that'll be good.
No comments:
Post a Comment