Here's a line from a song by The Postal Service (side project of lead singer of Death Cab for Cutie):
"I was waiting for a cross-town train
In the London underground
When it struck me
That I've been waiting since birth to find
A love that would look and sound
Like a movie."
The idea of trying to find love like a movie seems to have been cropping out in what I've listened to lately. The Gaslight Anthem, who has become a top 5 band for me, has tons of references about love and the movies. In their song "Helplessness Blues," Fleet Foxes has the line "Some day I'll be like the man on the screen." And the Avett Brothers, a band I don't listen to a whole but I do enjoy, have a song called Love Like the Movies, which is about how love is deeper and more real than a movie could ever portray and that it's foolish to want what the movie characters have.
I think the Postal Service lyrics really sum me up. I love movies as much as I love music and after watching so many movies in my life, it's become really easy for me to envy the ease of the relationships and love stories in movies, especially when I contrast those with my own relationships that are difficult to understand and nearly nonexistent.
No comments:
Post a Comment