I was just looking at my post about the old/new year that I wrote last year and it's funny, a number of the things I said about the prior year and what I hoped for the coming year are still true. I'd still like to spend less time with technology (less computer, less tv/movies, less texting) and spend more time enjoying God's creation, both nature and other people. Last year, I said I wanted to know how to truly love people and put them before myself. Honestly, I don't think I really know much more about how to do that. To quote Ray LaMontagne, "Still don't know what love means."
I'm going to save this part (written around noon) and eat lunch and watch a movie and get back to blogging later.
So it's officially 2012 (in the east coast at least) and I've decided that instead of listing things I hope to change or see changed in the next year, I'm going to see goodbye to 2011 by posting the lyrics of one of my favorite songs. It's by the Gaslight Anthem, a band that has definitely become a favorite of mine because they're really where I'm at, both musically and lyrically. Anyway, the song is about past relationships that were either never given a chance or were lost/broken and learning to live, accept, and move on from it all. I've blogged a lot about girls here and while it's helped at times, I don't think it's something I'm going to continue because I'm an adult. I'll be 20 in less than 8 months, and whining about girls not liking me is in the past. Here's lookin' at you, Cat, Alyssa, Rachel, Kate, Michelle, Tori, and Brooke.
Here's Lookin' At You, Kid
You can tell Gayle if she calls
That I'm famous now for all of these rock and roll songs
And even if that's a lie
She should've given me a try
When were kids on the field of the first day of school
I would've been her fool
And I would've sang out your name in those old high school halls
You tell that to Gayle if she calls
And you can tell Jane if she writes
That I'm drunk off all these stars and all these crazy Hollywood nights
That's total deceit
But she should've married me
And tell her I spent every night of my youth on the floor
Bleeding out from all these wounds
I would've gotten her right out of that town she despised
You tell that to Janey if she writes
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
That will cut you to ribbons sometimes
And all you can do is just wait by the moon
And bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
You remind Anna if she asks why
That a thief stole my heart while she was making up her mind
I heard she lives in Brooklyn with the cool
Goes crazy over that New York scene on 7th Avenue
But I used to wait at the diner, a million nights without her
Praying she won't cancel again tonight
And the waiter served my coffee with a consolation sigh
You remind Anna if she asks why
Tell her it's all right
You know it's hard to tell you this
Oh, it's hard to tell you this
Here's looking at you, kid
No comments:
Post a Comment