Saturday, March 3, 2012

Transitory

Life is transitory and so are people.

Lately, I've been thinking about how as you get older, friendships begin to fade and friends begin to grow apart. I think good and genuine friends will be friends on some level for life but what I'm talking about is how the depth of the relationship changes. One of my oldest friends has been in town the past few days for a short break from school and while we're still friends and I still like hanging out with him and care about him, I think we've both moved on. He's built a new life at his school and so have I. We still are friends (watched a couple movies one night this week and also went to lunch) but things are just really different than they were in high school.

In thinking about all this, I'm given even more reason to desire a future marriage. I think that most, if not all, friendships are transitory. Very few people have best friends for the majority of life. People move, get new jobs, change, etc. Because of this, friendships don't always remain as close. However, with marriage, you marry your true best friend and stick with them for the rest of your life. To me, that sounds awesome. I know that seems idealized and unrealistic but I'm aware of the difficulties that come with marriage. Regardless, the positive outweighs the negative in my eyes.

All this to say, I've been blessed in my life with friendships throughout. I hope and pray to have a lasting best friend someday in marriage but until then, I'll rely on the friendships I've been given right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment