Saturday, May 21, 2011

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

is of one of my favorite movies. Not only is it a funny, fun, entertaining 80s classic, it has one character in particular with whom I relate the most out of all the movies I've seen. That character is Cameron Frye. Cameron Frye is a guy in the final semester of high school who doesn't know where he wants to go to college, what he wants to do with his life, or who he wants to be. Not only is this uncertainty something I can really relate to but Cameron is also relatable when it comes to the opposite sex. Throughout the film, Cameron is the tagalong with his best friend Ferris and Ferris' girlfriend Sloan. I've been there many times before. Not only that but Cameron is very cynical about relationships, mainly due to his parents' bad marriage. Now, my parents have a good marriage so I'm not cynical because of that but there's an awful lot of reasons why I am cynical.
All this to say, the strongest point of relation between myself and Cameron Frye can be summed up by a quote from the one and only, Ferris Bueller (warning: some profanity):
"Cameron has never been in love - at least, nobody's ever been in love with him. If things don't change for him, he's gonna marry the first girl he lays, and she's gonna treat him like shit, because she will have given him what he has built up in his mind as the end-all, be-all of human existence. She won't respect him, 'cause you can't respect somebody who kisses your ass. It just doesn't work."

And that is what I'm most afraid of in my life when it comes to relationships. I've never had a girlfriend or any sort of romantic connection with a girl, so I know what it's like to be one my own and at times lonely. But the thought of getting a taste of a relationship and then spending my life chasing something I'll never get back and someone who doesn't love or respect me sounds like an awful way to live. I've had a small glimpse of this sort of thing because I like a girl I've become close friends with and she doesn't really care much about me back nor does she really respect me. However, I'm trying to cut off my feelings for her and only time will tell how my romantic life progresses.

I'll end this post with another quote from Ferris Bueller:
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

No comments:

Post a Comment