Thursday, October 7, 2010

Attentillation

So the people behind last years "make the color of your bra your Facebook status for breast cancer awareness" have topped themselves this year. Somehow they've convinced thousands of girls that posting a status of where they supposedly like to put their purses in a sexually suggestive way is somehow supporting breast cancer awareness. Riiiiiiiiiight. I feel like this is just a way for girls who don't consider themselves to be slutty to act as if they are, all in the name of supporting breast cancer awareness. If you ask me, it's a tissue paper thin veil for girls to get attention. Statuses like "I like it on the floor" and "I like it on the table ;)" are popping up on girls' statuses everywhere. I don't think that this is the worst thing in the world but I feel like girls who claim to be Christians ought to be wiser and more discerning than this. "Oh, it's not what it sounds like, it's really to support breast cancer awareness!" Crappy excuses come from hearts that know right from wrong and still want that taste of wrong. Are girls who post this as their status committing a grievous sin? No, I don't think so. I'm sure there are some girls who are doing it for honest, honorable reasons of supporting the fight against breast cancer. However, from some of the statuses I've seen, most girls think it's just the funniest thing ever. I imagine some girls' thoughts go along the lines of, "Ooh this makes me sound like a whore but it's totally not what it sounds like. How scandalous!" In our culture, most people have gotten to the point of mental perversion that when they see a status like one of these, they go straight to the status meaning something like "I like having sex in this place or that place." I say this as one of the many fallen men whose minds is corrupted beyond human repair. For some guys, I'm sure this is titillating as all get out.  I think that's what most girls want. They want attention and this is a great way to do it without actually crossing any real lines. For me, this isn't so much titillating as it is laughable and to be honest, a little sad.
This just seems like an example of how girls' desire for attention and guys' desire for titillation can get out of hand very quickly. This reminds me of something the Summit pastor J.D. Greear said at the 20-20 Conference this past February, "Guys are liars and girls are naive." Girls think this status is all fun and games when in reality, it is probably aiding in the lustful desires of many guys. Likewise, guys aren't stepping up and saying anything, they just gaze on as they whet their sexual appetites, or like me, they yak on and on about it without the nerve to challenge girls to be wiser. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if a guy cooked this whole idea up, it's definitely the sort of perverted thing that would come from the mind of a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment