So normally around Valentine's Day, I, like many single people in the world, get a little mopey and such. Normally I'm not too bummed or anything but I usually think of the day as "S.A.D." (Single Awareness Day). This year, however, I'm not really bummed or anything. No, I don't have a girlfriend. No, the girl I really like isn't giving me any reasons to hope for the future. But honestly, life isn't centered on romance and I'm extremely blessed by God in my life, so it would be silly of me to whine about being single.
Today I went grocery shopping with my mom (she just had a medical procedure done so she needed me to come to push the cart and lift heavy things) and at Kroger I saw a handful of people checking out with roses, candies, cards, and some other Valentine's Day related objects. This got me thinking. Valentine's Day is a day that for some people is a reminder to demonstrate their love for a special someone, for others a day of obligation and expectation, and for others still a day of loneliness, frustration, or self-pity. I had planned to flesh this out further but because I started this in the afternoon and then didnt' get back to it until 11:45, with a crappy night at work and a host of other things in between, I'm gonna cut it short and maybe blog about these things some other time.
No comments:
Post a Comment