Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A plethora of things

So the work world has been interesting so far. Overall, I don't mind the work and I like my coworkers for the most part. Plus I get paid well, have accommodating hours, and get to take leftovers home if I want. So really, I shouldn't be complaining. However, I've been a foolish complainer all my life so why stop now? One of the guys who is in charge when the main supervisors are gone is kind of a douchebag. This guy bosses me around with a condescending tone, acts like I'm his idiot slave, and has me bus tables while he hits on the best looking girl on staff. If you've ever seen Office Space, just imagine the boss, Bill Lumbergh, and his condescending tone in the form of cocky and pretentious 16/17 year old punk. It's very frustrating to be bossed around by a guy like this. The other guy who is in charge when the supervisors are out is a solid guy. Every now and then he can be a little overly bossy but so far he's been mostly just instructing and accommodating to me. The rest of the people have been pretty cool as well. It's just that one guy...
But I digress, he's a sinner just as I am a sinner. No better, no worse.


Now, on to the foolishness that is passive-aggresive Facebook or Twitter updates. One of my friends thought her friend's passive-aggressive tweets about her life was directed at her, so in return she began passive-aggressively tweeting about things as well. Now neither one was specifically mean or anything and my friend ended the night with a good mindset, but it got me thinking about how everyone, at one point or another, uses FB or Twitter to passive-aggressively complain or criticize someone or something. Personally, I do it a lot, so it's pretty hypocritical of me to talk about it. I used to use Facebook to whine a lot but then I wrote out a set of rules for myself to follow (which I break quite often but they keep me sort of in line...ish) and I've eased up on the whining since.
I think we use social outlets to vent, complain, or whatever you want to call it because we want attention and we either want help or pity as well. I know that when I put a lyric from a song that's hitting me hard or describing me well on a FB or Twitter, it's either because I just really like the lyric or because I want to express to others how I'm feeling or how I see myself. Either way, for me, it's usually about wanting to be honest to people. It's also about attention. Actually, it's very often about attention for me. I'm very self-seeking and attention-driven.


I feel like I was gonna blog about something else tonight, but I've plum forgotten what it was. Oh well, music. Today, for $1 because I used Amazonmp3's Valentine's Day code VDMP3s, I bought an album by a band called The Dillinger Escape Plan, which was on sale for $3 today. I haven't listened to much of it yet but of the two songs I had from the album previously, it's really good chaotic metal (i've heard it's called mathcore). I think I'll enjoy it every now and then when I'm either in an angry mood, a chaotic mood, or a we-want-to-pump *clap* you-up mood.
Also, I've really been getting into a band called The National lately. Their album High Violet got a ton of good reviews last year and I listened to it a couple weeks ago on Grooveshark and ever since I keep coming back to certain songs. I got Sorrow and Conversation 16 from an mp3 blog and along with Bloodbuzz Ohio, I'm lovin' The National. They've got a really interesting sound and I like their lyrics for the most part.


Anyway, it's late and I've got stuff to do in the morning before classes, so I'll end here with lyrics from the National.
These are from the song Conversation 16, which is full of really good and interesting lyrics so it's hard to choose just one section, but here is the chorus:
"Now we'll leave the silver city 'cause all the silver girls
Gave us black dreams.
Leave the silver city to all the silver girls,
Everything means everything.
/
I was afraid, I'd eat your brains
I was afraid, I'd eat your brains
'Cause I'm evil
'Cause I'm evil."

No comments:

Post a Comment