I am finding that this paper on free will in CS Lewis' The Great Divorce is a lot tougher than I imagined, so I am going to take a short blog-posting-break before I take the rest of the night off to watch Passion of the Christ.
There's a scene in the Great Divorce where the narrator observes a saintly angel woman talking to a man who is seperated into two forms. One form is a tragedian (actor) and the other is a dwarf. The dwarf controls the other by a chain around his neck. Anyway, the two people talk and the woman tells the man, who was her husband back when she was alive, that she is sorry for not truly loving him back on earth. He asks what she means and this is what she says: "There was a little real love in it. But what we called love down there was mostly the craving to be loved. In the main I loved you for my own sake, because I needed you."
I'm pretty close to a situation where one person thinks they love another person and this sums that up to a T. Really, I think this sums up most love on earth up, we are all very selfish, very self-seeking.
No comments:
Post a Comment