Friday, December 31, 2010

A short rant that is somewhat redundant...

Language warning:






I feel like Facebook is a bullshit magnet. It's a place where people can talk and be "friends," yet there is no genuine physical connection, no face-to-face honesty, and you can advance or retreat with just a mouse click. Over the past 6 months or so, I've really started to become a strong supporter of honesty and a strong opponent of bullshit. This is in large part due to what I see all across my Facebook friends' profiles and in certain relationships in my life. On Facebook, people can say whatever the hell the want, regardless of whether or not they mean it. One girl can tell another girl that she looks beautiful, though in reality the first girl doesn't actually believe that the second girl looks beautiful. One person can share a prayer request or something and another can comment or w/e and say that they'll pray, not really intending to actually pray. One person can tell another "I love you" when there is not a trace of genuine love in that person's heart. 
Now, I don't say this to point fingers at specific people or even to try and work some pharisaical angle. I'm guilty of all this stupid shit just as much as anyone else, maybe even more since I've used Facebook to take the easy way out in multiple scenarios in the past couple years. However, the figurative blood on my hands doesn't change the shade of crimson that is on everyone else's. All this reminds me of my favorite scene in (500) Days of Summer, which I recently bought at Target for $6. In the scene, greeting card writer Tom, the main guy who is at the time cynical and frustrated because adorable Zooey Deschanel pretty much screwed him over. In response to someone's idea about cat cards of inspiration, Tom goes on a minor rant. I'll highlight my favorite parts and underline the section relevant to this post. 


"Well this is, and Rhoda, no disrespect, but um, this is total shit. Go for it? You can do it? That's not inspirational, that's suicidal! If pickles goes for it right there that's a dead cat. This is lies. We are liars. Think about it. Why do people buy cards? It's not because they want to say how they feel. People buy cards because they can't say how they feel or are afraid to. We provide the service that lets them off the hook. You know what? I say to hell with it. Lets level with America or at least let them speak for themselves, right? I mean look, look. What is this, what does this say? "Congratulations on your new baby." How bout "congratulations on your new baby, guess that's it for hanging out, nice knowing ya." How bout this one? With all the pretty hearts on the front, I think I know where this ones going. Yup "Happy Valentines Day sweetheart, I love you." Isn't that sweet? Ain't love grand? This is exactly what I'm talking about. What does that even mean, love? Do you know? Do you? Anybody? If somebody gave me this card, Mr. Vance, I'd eat it. It's these cards, and the movies and the pop songs, they're to blame for all the lies and the heartache, everything. We're responsible. I'm responsible. I think we do a bad thing here. People should be able to say how they feel, how they really feel, not ya know, some words that some stranger put in their mouth. Words like love, that don't mean anything. Sorry, I'm sorry, I um, I quit. There's enough bullshit in the world without my help."

It's late and half of this post was written like 5 hours ago, so I've lost much of my initial train of thought and I think I will end it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment