Insecurity is something I've struggled with for a long time and will likely struggle with for a while longer. I don't feel insecure about the base level things in life like food, shelter, clothing, etc. I guess that's 'cause I still live with my parents and haven't really had to make it out on my own. However, it's also because I do believe what Jesus said in Matthew 6 about not worrying about food or clothes because God will take care of his children. No, I'm more insecure about the non-necessity things of life, such as friendship, status, and biggest of all, romantic love. C.S. Lewis once wrote, "Friends are not necessary to live. They do, however, make life worth living." I most certainly agree with this, which is why I'm hitting a big hump of insecurity, fear, doubt, and loneliness right about now. Two of my best friends who I've known the past 7 years are both going off to different colleges, one to a college about an hour or so away and another to a college about 5+ hours away. Now one of these friends is probably the highest quality friend I've ever had. He's one of the more selfless and accepting people I know and he's always been a true friend to me as long as I've known him. And my other friend is more like a brother in how we bicker and argue over lots of things but in the end, we usually can fall back on plenty of shared interests or ideals.
Now, I have other friends, so it's not like I'm completely abandoned, but I don't have many close friends and with those two leaving, there are even fewer people who actually know me well. With this, plus the added doubt of becoming interested in someone new and not at all knowing what to do or how to handle things, my insecurities are off the leash again. To be honest, I just don't really see much worth in myself other than the worth given to me by Jesus, so how can I expect others to see worth in me?
Anyway, I've got work in a bit so I should get ready. The title of this post is lyrics from a song I love by Frightened Rabbit called Poke.
No comments:
Post a Comment