Language warning: The following post contains "cuss words," so read at your own risk. I explained my position on language in an earlier post so if you want to know more, go look at that.
A couple things to say. First, the Dark Knight is a phenomenal film. There are some films that are flawless in execution, plot, script, and acting and this is one of them. It's a film I'd like to take apart piece-by-piece in order to understand the whole profundity of it all. It really makes me think about morality, good vs. evil, and humanity itself. There's a lot more I'd like to say about it but I've got a 9am class so I'll continue on.
Second, a verse I heard yesterday has finally caught up to me now. At bible study, we read through all of Philippians and while it is chock full of good stuff, one specific section stuck out to me and has come up in my mind in a current situation. The verses are Phil. 1: 23-26:
"I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me."
Sometimes it's sooooo easy for me to just be like "screw the world" and just want to do my own thing and forget everybody else. As I get older, I see how sick and twisted my own heart is and when I see the sinfulness of others, my sinful heart just wants to be free of it all. But Paul argues that I, and all other Christians, can not and should not abandon it all just to be with Christ because we are called to love one another and a lot of the times people need other people. The situation that brought this to mind is where my friend is having a really rough night emotionally and I convinced her to call me to talk about it and the main thing I said to her was how she's got a problem and how big a problem it is and blah blah blah. Yeah, really loving of me. I mean, I think what I said was true but oh what a foolish and unloving thing to do! When my friend needed someone to love her, someone to listen, someone to try and comfort and encourage her, all I did was point out the fucking specks in her eye while I've got a fucking forest in my own. Stupid Dan, way to go idiot. After I practically condemned her, she abruptly said she was just gonna go to bed and then said bye and hung up the phone. Shit. I'm a fucking idiot. This is evidence of how little I understand how to love people. I'm so quick to judge and to throw my opinion in because of my own pride and selfishness that I really have no idea how to love another person. I am a man that only a merciful God could love.
No comments:
Post a Comment