Language warning: The following post contains "cuss words," so read at your own risk. I explained my position on language in an earlier post so if you want to know more, go look at that.
"I love music." This is a statement that I hear almost daily, normally through Facebook in either silly statuses, the pages you *like* or in those notes that people make and then tag others in even though the majority of people tagged couldn't care less. This statement comes in all shapes and sizes, such as "I would die without music!" or "Music is my life!" With such dramatic (or maudlin perhaps?) statements, one would get the idea that some people genuinely love all music. But come on, those statements are huge generalizations. Now, I get that when people say they love music they mean they love certain music, like top 40 shit that repeats constantly and sings of sex, alcohol, partying, or a simplistic idea of love. This reminds me of how some girls are like "I just want to meet a nice guy and I'll be happy" which is total bullshit because what they want is a nice guy with specifics. Love with specifics. But i'll get to that later in the post. Back to the music. Me, I won't say I love music. There are certain artists whose music or lyrics I really do love. But as a whole, I simply like music. I like people expressing themselves through it. Some people, such as Ke$ha, seem to be expressing either their love of money or their love of whoring. It's this type of top 40 garbage that confounds me. I mean, I get why it's popular because people like catchy music that doesn't require much thought but really? People are dumb. I mean, come on, there's enough bullshit and emptiness in the world, why must there be so much more coming in through the airwaves?
What I really don't get is how people can say that the music they listen to really moves them when all they listen to is Lil Wayne, Rihanna, and Nickelback. How can shallow, mass-produced crap like that actually move anyone? Sure, someone might buy that Nickelback shit about how you should live life to the fullest and what not but come on, Chad Kroeger is a grade A douchebag, not a philosopher. You're gonna find inspiration from the guy who sings about booze, sex, and hotties with million dollar bodies? Well, that's your choice. I don't understand it and I probably never will, but people will be people.
On to love with specifics. There's one girl who I sort-of-not-really know who updates her Facebook status a lot about how she gets her heart broken and just wants a guy that'll love her and all this other crap that's meant for a diary but is instead put on Facebook, the passive-aggressive cry for attention (we all do it). It's like status after status is either her saying something sad or mad to a guy, a song lyric about a guy, or a sort of woe-is-me thing. I sort of feel bad for her but I also just want to write on every single status "You're 16, why the hell are you getting so worked up about high school drama and throwing yourself a pity party every fucking day?!?" (< paraphrase)
A lot of girls I know have said something along the lines of "I just want a guy who will love me for me." Bullshit. If girls genuinely meant that, there would be a lot less lonely people. However, girls mean they want love with specifics. They don't just want someone to love them, they want someone who will make them feel a certain way, someone who will make them laugh, someone who will turn them on, someone they can show off, or someone who will say everything right. I partially blame the whole "prince charming" bullshit that Disney and Hollywood have fixated in the minds of females all around. I think that the desire to be swept off your feet and your heart to be won is a natural desire for a girl (from what I can tell). However, for years and years we've been fed cinematic bullshit. For me, I've grown up watching movies and I really began watching them a lot more in high school because my social life was less than ideal and my love life had yet to see the light of day (not that that has really changed much). By watching lots of movies in high school and not really having much of the high school experience (no dances, no dates, no nothing) due to being homeschooled, I sort of began to think or at least hope in these cinematic presentations of love and life, like that the guy who isn't the best looking or the most athletic or charming but is there for the girl even when she falls finally ends up with his dream girl by the end of the movie. In recent years, I've reallllllly learned that that is total bullshit. Girls want a guy who will love them but they also want the guy who is handsome, the guy who is charming, the guy who flirts. This is just like how guys say they really just want a girl with a nice personality but really they also want a girl with a good body or one who flirts with them and makes them feel special. We're liars.
Now I blame this cynical perspective on being 18 and not knowing a whole lot of non high school girls, so maturity is definitely a factor. I dunno, I'm really not as cynical and frustrated as I'm appearing by writing all this. I just wish people would grow up. I sure as hell have a ton of growing up to do and so do the majority of people in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment